New 4-Week Online Class Begins October 7, 2013
"A prayerful life is meant for everyone, and none of us becomes prayerful by ourselves. Perhaps the synergy that surpasses that of putting together practices of praying with other people’s words, praying without words, and praying with your own words is that of putting these practices together with others. It might be on a retreat, in a small group, or with your family, but the only way we are meant to live prayerfully is to live prayerfully together." -From the Conclusion of Live Prayerfully
I hope that you will consider joining me and a small group of others as we explore together how we can practice prayerful living. In order to do this, we will begin a 4-week online class, limited to a small number of participants.
Each week, we will take a section of Live Prayerfully, discuss it together online, and use the Guides for Prayer in Part II of the book to shape our praying in the same ways together throughout the class. The class outline is:
- Week 1: October 7-13 Introduction: Searching for Simple and Reliable Guidance in Prayer
- Week 2: October 14-20 Praying With Other People's Words
- Week 3: October 21-27 Praying Without Words
- Week 4: October 28-November 3 Praying With Your Own Words
The online format of the class means that participants will be able to take part in the class according to their own schedules. Each week, we will all read the corresponding part of the book early in the scheduled week. Then, each member of the class will be asked to contribute in the following ways:
- Briefly answer one of three reflection questions and post your response.
- Read your classmates' responses and reply to at least one of them.
- Practice praying in the week's respective method.
I look forward to getting to know and actively engaging with each participant.
What you will need:
- Registration is $35.
- A copy of Live Prayerfully (Either a print or Kindle version is fine. This is not included in the registration cost, since some participants will already have a copy.)
- Basic ability to use the internet. If you are able to do something like respond to a blog post, you will be fine. (If you're not sure how to do that, here is one of my favorites–read it and try your hand at commenting!)
Please consider joining us as we learn together to live prayerfully. Registration will close on September 30, or when all spaces are filled.
(Registration is now closed.)