[This post is the first of a series of potential Christian plaques that we would never find at a Christian bookstore. See the other posts listed at the bottom of this one.]
For some time, I've entertained myself with thoughts of making a collection of verses from the scripture that are legitimately in the Bible, but nonetheless would never be engraved on a plaque for sale in a Christian bookstore.
And I begin with a classic:
My complete list (so far) of Christian plaques we'll never find at a Christian bookstore:
- 1 Timothy 5:23
- No offense to my beloved family, I’m just quoting the words of our Lord… Luke 14:12
- This one has made me scratch my head for years. Surely there’s some good explanation about what the Greek word originally meant, etc.: Luke 16:9
- For some reason, Jesus’ teachings that have to do with things like sparrows, lillies, and trees have remained more popular than this one: Luke 17:37
- This plaque would come with a free framed photo as a gift: Proverbs 11:22
- This one might actually sell pretty well: Proverbs 21:9
- I‘m including this one minus the usual sarcasm. Your church’s next evangelism campaign may be much healthier if everyone dwells on this for a while: Matthew 23:15
- I could also include this passage in a series called, “Scripture passages I’m thankful I’ve never been required to memorize.": 1 Chronicles 2:25-27
- Perhaps if Christian bookstore did carry this plaque, it would be packaged together with a new CD titled something like:“The Best of the Mega-SuperStars of Worship, Volume XIX": Isaiah 29:13
- Here’s an approach for accountability groups who take their role very seriously: Deuteronomy 13:6-9
- These plaques would come in a set of two. And perhaps a more accurate title for them would be “Scripture Plaques You Won’t Find at the [Protestant] Christian Bookstore.”: Romans 2:13 and James 2:24
- This is good news for many of us, particularly during football season: Psalm 149:5
- Joshua 24:15 makes such a popular plaque ("As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"), that perhaps we could also include verse 19 in a longer plaque: Joshua 24:15,19.
- These are actually very important: Psalm 22:1, Matthew 27:46, Mark 15:34.
- Everybody quotes Leviticus 19:18, even Jesus: "love your neighbor as yourself." But what about Leviticus 19:19? Better check your closet!
- Moses is certainly a hero of the Scriptures, and is described as someone who spoke to God face to face, as a man speaks with his friend. Well, I've never had a friend say this to me, face to face or otherwise: Numbers 11:19.
- If you think your favorite approach to baptism is thoroughly biblical, please let me know what you do with this: 1 Corinthians 15:29.
- Need an excuse to launch a line of high-end luxury products for Christian women? Look no further than Jesus' own words: Luke 12:33.
- I do happen to be a member of my state's cattle raiser's association, and I believe I've just found our divine endorsement: Romans 14:2.